Dr. Julia Wellner is an Assistant Professor at the University of Houston. Her research interests include
- Antarctic Ice Sheet history since the Eocene
- Geomorphic signatures of ice sheet retreat across the continental shelf
- Holocene climate of the Antarctic
- Sedimentation patterns in fjords and relation to oceanographic controls
- Plio-Pleistocne sequence stratigraphy from 3D seismic data
As a Lead Principal Investigator on the THOR project, Wellner and her team will investigate the sediments deposited in the seas near the Thwaites Glacier, and using these, will reconstruct past changes in environmental conditions and the glacier’s response to these, thereby adding context to our projections of future change.